Sunday, July 19, 2009

Book Review - Four Queens

Four Queens: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe Four Queens: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe by Nancy Goldstone


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I absolutely loved this book! Goldstone's writing was so engaging - much different from most other historical texts that I've read - that I could hardly stop reading this book. It details the lives of four sisters from Provence who marry the kings of France, England, Germany and Sicily. The books begins with the history of the parents of the Provencal sisters and their future husbands and ends with their eventual deaths. Their stories encompass crusades, civil wars and other great political dramas. While the political intrigues are oftentimes convoluted, the author leads the reader clearly around the key issues and illuminates the characters of the lead players. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, and not just those interested Medieval history.


View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Can I read it when I get home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally! I was going to recommend it to you, I think you'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete