Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Feminist London - Day 10

Sadly, there will be no pictures today because I completely forgot to bring my camera!

Today we had another big museum day and went to the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery. Since we were all so tired from yesterday's big museum day, we went out and got waffles and ice cream for breafast, so we'd have sustenance throughout the day! We didn't meet as a group, but Dr. Smith had us all go and see the Rokeby Venus by Velazquez. In 1914, a woman who was part of the British women's suffrage movement took an axe to it as a form of protest. When I went to see the painting, I was surprised by how hard it was to detect the damage that she had done; the museum had repaired it so well that the cut marks looked just like the normal cracks in the painting.

I found the Portrait Gallery to be a bit dull, but really enjoyed the paintings of the Tudor period. The more modern paintings were also much more interesting to me, as they were painted in an (obviously) more modern and experimental style, but there was a whole lot in between to slog through.

Class day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment