Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Feminist London - Day 5

Not too much happened today. We spent the morning exploring Westminster Abbey, which is totally overwhelming. Not only is the building so impressive from the outside that you feel that you will never be able to take everything in, the inside is stuffed full of people - living and dead. There are tombs and memorials to fascinating people in every nook and cranny of the abbey. You would have to stay there for days to adequately see everything.

From Feminist London July 7


Sadly, I didn't have that much time or stamina. They provide you with a guided audio tour - narrated by Jeremy Irons no less (at least the English version) - that takes you around to the most famous attractions. As a group we did what Virginia Woolf tells all women who make their living through writing and literature to, which was visit the grave of Aphra Behn, the first English woman to earn her living through her writing. So that was pretty cool. Though, as she is a pretty obscure figure, you could tell that all the people around us were wondering why were getting so excited over a completely unremarkable grave.

I, of course, was really excited to see Poets' Corner, where many famous artists and literary figures - including Chaucer!! - are buried. As I was walking away, I happened to find a floor panel dedicated to Caedmon, the only Anglo-Saxon poet whose name we know. He isn't buried there or anything, but I thought it was really cool that he's celebrated there.

After I finished with the abbey, jet lag must have caught up with me, because I was super tired. I headed back to the hall for a quiet afternoon and evening of study. Lovely.

Class day tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. gotta rest sometime! You've been going strong. I love your daily post - I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete